Awarded scholarships went through the formal process – Public Service Minister clarifies
– reiterates govt’s commitment to transparency
– will ensure all public service scholarships are made public
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, July 11, 2019
Minister of Public Service, the Honourable Tabitha Sarabo-Halley, in keeping with government’s commitment to transparency, has pledged that all scholarships granted from her department would be made public.
“The scholarships are being funded by public monies and citizens have a right to know who has received scholarships and for what programme,” Minister Sarabo-Halley affirmed.
This statement comes a time when there are questions about the application process and the granting of scholarships. She used the opportunity to bring clarity to the matter concerning the children of Minister with responsibility for Youth Affairs, Simona Broomes. The Public Service Minister explained that while the scholarships were awarded under her predecessor, both applications went through the formal process.
During the press briefing in the ministry’s conference room, it was announced that the application process is open for a number of Scholarships at the Undergraduate and Master’s Degree level at the University of Guyana for the 2019/2020 academic year.
According to the Minister Sarabo-Halley, “providing professional personnel training and consultancy services to the various ministries, departments and regional administration and the effective use of scholarships will be guided by a workforce needs and training assessment.”
As such, she disclosed that Cabinet has approved a request by the department for the commissioning of a National Human Resources Needs Survey.
She explained that this will greatly impact the job market as scholarships will be awarded based on the need for skilled persons in particular fields.
There are currently 103 scholarships available for undergraduate programmes. It was also highlighted that systems are in place to ensure that students serve their country upon completion of their scholarships.
At the Undergraduate level the following fields are open for application:
- Accountancy (BSc.)
- Agriculture (BSc.)
- Management (BSc.)
- Civil Engineering (BEng.)
- Computer Science (BSc.)
- Food Science (B.A)
- Geography (BSc.)
- Information Technology (BSc.)
- Mechanical Engineering (BEng.)
- Medicine (MBBS.)
- Petroleum Engineering (BSc.)
- Public Management (BSc.)
- Sociology (BSc.)
- Supply Chain Management (BSc.)
- Youth & Community Development (BA.)
At the post graduate level:
- Environmental Management – Specialization in Climate Change & Disaster Management (MSc.)
- Environmental Management – Specialization in Natural Resources Management (MSc.)
- Petroleum Engineering (MSc.)
- Master of Social Work
Key Eligibility requirements for Applicants:
- Applicants must obtain admission to the University of Guyana for the required program.
- Applicants must have obtained their Bachelor’s Degree within the last five (5) years with a minimum Grade Point Average of 2.8
- Applicants must be 35 years or under and be in good health to complete the program successfully.
- Applicant must have a valid Guyana Passport
For more information of the scholarships offered by the Government of Guyana, please see the link below: