Beneficiaries commend COVID-19 assistance voucher initiative
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, July 2, 2020
The Government was commended on Thursday as forty-three beneficiaries of the COVID-19 Public Assistance vouchers programme uplifted their items.
Earlier today, the Department of Public Information visited Survival Supermarket where several beneficiaries collected their groceries. Speaking to DPI, many were not shy in commending the programme noting that it will go a long way in assisting them.
“I think it’s a very good gesture that they’re doing this,” stated one, while another noted that “the contribution is a very good effort which will be able to help persons along the way.”
Another beneficiary shared similar sentiments as she lauded the government for the initiative which she said: “is very helpful to the nation” at this challenging time.
A resident from the Tuschen New Scheme remarked: “this is a very good initiative especially during these circumstances as it will help persons to take care of their families.”
The Government through the collaborative efforts of the Ministry of Finance, the Civil Defence Commission (CDC), the Ministry of Social Protection, COVID-19 Task Force Secretariat and the Guyana Post Office Corporation, has begun distributing the COVID-19 Public Assistance vouchers to eligible persons.
The initiative focuses on homes were one or more individuals have experienced a loss in earnings as a result of the COVID pandemic, single-parent homes, elderly persons and persons living with disabilities.
Beneficiaries were required to apply online or by calling the Ministry of Social Protection to register for the COVID-19 Public Assistance Programme.
Persons who are residing on the coast and have received a voucher must follow the steps listed below to en-cash it.
- Once you have received your voucher, select a supermarket of your choice as listed on the voucher/ flyer.
- Call your chosen supermarket at least 24 hours before you intend to uplift the items covered by the voucher. You must provide your full name and identification card (ID Card) number.
- On the following day, you must visit the chosen supermarket along with the voucher and your ID Card. These must be presented to the supermarket representative so that the information can be verified. Once your information has been checked, you will be given a package containing the items covered by the voucher.
- You will then be required to sign the stub of the voucher on which your ID card number will be written.
- You may then leave the supermarket with your items.
- Individuals must observe the Ministry of Public Health’s COVID-19 protocols including the wearing of a mask, sanitation of hands and physical distancing.
- The voucher is not transferable and cannot be redeemed for cash.
Persons who may be eligible but have not yet applied can still do so. The application form can be downloaded from the Ministry of Social Protection’s website at https://mosp.gov.gy/ or https://government.gy/eform/241.
For those persons without access to the internet, contact can be made with the Ministry of Communities or the Ministry of Social Protection to have their application form completed by an Officer.