Confirmed COVID-19 cases now at 286
—Reg. 1 managing 69% of all active cases
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, July 9, 2020
The Ministry of Public Health has reported that confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus now stand at 286
To date, the country has registered 125 recoveries while deaths remain at 16.
There are currently 145 active cases in isolation at various facilities across Guyana and 19 persons in institutional quarantine. The COVID-19 ICU is currently housing 1six patients.
On Thursday, the Deputy Chief Medical Officer, Dr. Karen Gordon-Boyle provided a breakdown of the current data on the virus in Guyana.
- 69 percent of all active cases are being managed in Region One
- 46 percent of all positive cases have recovered so far
- 6 percent of all infected cases have died
Dr. Gordon-Boyle also presented the analysis of a survey conducted by the Public Health Ministry and UNICEF, looking at the behaviour of Guyanese as it pertains to COVID-19.
- Respondents in all 10 regions indicated that the fear of being infected with the virus has decreased from 82 percent to 54 percent over 4 weeks
- 30 percent indicated that they are unwilling to give up their daily practice and adhere to guidelines provided
- Over 70 percent of respondents said that they wear a mask when out in public
- 58 percent indicated that they observe the 6 feet social distancing as per the guidelines
- 76 percent indicated that they wash or sanitise their hands frequently
Citizens are reminded to continue practising social distancing in the workplace, public spaces, and while using public transportation to reduce the spread of the coronavirus disease. They are also reminded to practise frequent hand washing/sanitising and always wear a face mask if they have to go out.
As of July 9, 2020, the WHO is reporting that globally the confirmed cases stand at 11,874,226 with 545,481 deaths. While in the Regions of the Americas, positive cases now stand at 6,125,802 with a total of 272,606 deaths.