Major upgrades to several bridges in Region Eight
– $2.1B approved for Region 8
DPI, Guyana, Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Come 2019, residents in Region Eight, Potaro-Siparuni will benefit from several initiatives that will improve their quality of life.
A total of $2.1Billion was approved this evening by the Committee of Supply during the consideration of the current and capital expenditure of the 2019 National Budget.
Minister of Communities Ronald Bulkan explained that of this amount, $67.52Million has been earmarked for the rehabilitation and construction of bridges to provide proper egress and ingress to communities such as Elenake, Konawaruk, Kalibung and Kurukabaru among others.
This amount, he said, also includes the construction of a bridge which will link Kato to Pakaraimas and benefit approximately 4000 residents.
Responding to a question posed by opposition Member Pauline Sukhai, the Communities Minister explained that an allocated $57Million will cater for the maintenance of ten roadways within the region.
Minister Bulkan also highlighted some of the capital projects that will be undertaken in 2019:
- Construction of Information and Communication Technology laboratories at Kato and Paramakoti Primary Schools
- Extension of Mahdia and Chenapou Primary Schools
- Extension of Monkey Mountain and Kopinang health centres and the Kurukabaru health post
- Construction of the road from Monkey Mountain to Paramakotoi