MINISTRY OF SOCIAL PROTECTION UNVEILS HIGH POWERED IMC
May 29, 2018
The Ministry of Social Protection has noted with interest the wide publicity given to criticisms and comments made about the decisions of the Chief Co-operative Development Officer (CCDO) to assume control of the affairs of the Guyana Public Service Co-operative Credit Union Limited (GPSCCUL).
A natural consequence of the CCDO’s decisions is the replacement of the –previous Management Committee, with an Interim Management Committee (IMC).
In an earlier Release issued on the day of the CCDO’s intervention i.e. on the 25th day of May, 2018 the reasons for taking control of the Co-operative Society were clearly spelt out, hence there is little or no need to reiterate them at this juncture.
However, it must be noted that as a consequence of the CCDO’s action which took effect on Friday May 25, 2018 all operations were suspended and the Office closed until, today Tuesday May 29, 2018.
The Office will be reopened at 8:30am tomorrow Wednesday May 30, 2018 with an Interim Management Committee (IMC) in place which is comprised as follows
- Justice Prem Persaud, immediate past Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission as the Officer in Charge;
- Patsy Russel, a Business Consultant with a rich banking background;
- Trevor Benn, Commissioner and CEO Guyana Lands and Survey Commission;
- Rajdai Jagarnauth Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Business;
- Gillian Pollard-Deputy Director of the Budget, Ministry of Finance;
- Oneidge Walrond- Allicock- Legal Officer, Ministry of Public Telecommunications; and
- Patrick Mentore – Human Resource and Training Manager, Guyana Maritime Administration.
In addition to being the Officer in charge of Management of the Affairs of the Agency Justice Prem Persaud is also an ex-officio member of the Management Committee.
Further, an Auditor in the person of Mr. George Vaughn is appointed to commence work also at 8:30 am on May 30, 2018.
The Ministry of Social Protection takes this opportunity to reiterate to the employees of the Credit Union that the Ministry thanks them for their understanding and co-operation during the past days and looks forward for their willing co-operation in the future.
Finally, the Ministry wishes to assure them and that their jobs are not jeopardized and all are required to report to work as usual at 8:30am on Wednesday May 30, 2018. They are asked not to be misguided or distracted by any other Agency or person.