Prime Minister visits family of 17-year-old killed in Number Three Backdam

– calls for immediate end to violent protests

During his second visit, in two days to Region 5 (Mahaica – Berbice), Prime Minister Brigadier Mark Phillips called for an immediate end to the violent protests in the Region.

He was at the time leading a delegation of Government Ministers on a visit to relatives of 17-year-old, Haresh Singh, who was this morning killed in the backdam of Number Three Village, West Coast Berbice.

The team comprised of Minister of Local Government and Regional Development, Mr.  Nigel Dharamlall, Minister of Public Works, Mr. Deodat Indar, Minister of Labour, Mr. Joseph Hamilton and Minister of Human Services and Social Security, Dr. Vindhya Persaud.

The members of the delegation met with the grandmother of Haresh Singh, Ms. Basmattie Singh, his aunt, Ms. Roshnie Singh, sister, Amrita Singh and other relatives.

The family members said that they have been receiving threats since the killing of the Henry cousins and have been fearful for their lives ever since.

“Every day they come and threaten us, since Monday. This morning I was taking food for my husband and when they saw me they started calling out to me and I had to turn back with my car … we can’t even sleep, we have to go to people’s house to sleep… we can’t stay here anymore, we have to go away,” Ms. Maymattie Balgobin, an in-law and resident of the home said.

During the visit, the delegation also stopped to speak with residents of Bath, who complained of being unable to traverse in or out of the village as a result of blockages across the West Coast of Berbice and threats being made against their lives.

Chairman of the Bath/Woodley Park Neighbourhood Democratic Council (NDC), Mr. Krishna Sewlall, said that the protest action across the West Coast Berbice, has had an adverse effect on the community.

“This is a heavy cash crop community, a lot of our farmers, they sell at Stabroek Market and Bourda, and their produce has been stuck in the village for three days, and we’re talking about millions of dollars’ worth” Mr.  Sewlall said.

Also present during the outreach were the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Nigel Hoppie, Chief of Staff of the Guyana Defence Force, Brigadier Godfrey Bess and Director of Prisons, Mr. Gladwin Samuels.


COVID-19 Alert!

Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze. It also spreads when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth. We urge citizens to practice good hygiene and social or physical distancing also adhere to the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health, Guyana.