Region Four is epicentre for COVID-19

86% of confirmed cases from this region

—60% of positive cases men, 40% women

DPI, Guyana, Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Ministry of Public Health has reported that Region Four is the epicentre for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).

The Demerara-Mahaica area has registered 86 percent of the number of confirmed cases. The breakdown is as follows 14 persons from the East Coast Demerara, 5 persons from the East Bank Demerara and 17 from Central Georgetown.

Meanwhile Regions One and Six each recorded 2 percent of the cases and Regions Three and Ten have recorded five percent of the cases.

A further compilation of those numbers shows that 60 percent of those testing positive are men while the remaining 40 percent are women.

As of April 14, the country has recorded 48 confirmed cases of COVID-19 of which six have died,

The Ministry noted that of this number four are imported cases (persons travelling from another country) and the other 44 through local transmission.

With these numbers in mind, the Ministry through the Health Emergency Operations Unit continues to do contact tracing to contain transmission and safeguard the at-risk population.

Those who might have been in contact with a positive case are immediately quarantined and subjected to testing according to the World Health Organisation guidelines.

CATEGORIES
TAGS

COVID-19 Alert!

Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze. It also spreads when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth. We urge citizens to practice good hygiene and social or physical distancing also adhere to the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health, Guyana.