The Department of Public Information is devoted to presenting a vital and significant contribution to the Government for an enhanced quality of life for all Guyanese through fulfilling the Government
and the public’s information needs.
Its functions are to develop and coordinate:
- Communication and information strategy for the Government;
- Production and dissemination of information to the media on Government policies, programmes, and projects.
- Provision of feedback to the Government with people’s reaction as presented in the media;
- Dissemination of information through different modes of communication, media releases, media notes, feature articles, backgrounders, media briefings, interviews, media conferences,
and media tours, etc.;
- Preparation of daily and special publication reviews based on news stories and editorials from the media;
- Provision of accreditation to media personnel;
- Development of communication between the government and the society at large;
- Integration among the sectors of the government;
- Provision of effective and efficient media and information services to the Government
- Formulation and implementation of policies for a democratic communication and information environment;
- Presentation of Guyana’s image both nationally and internationally;