Vincent Alexander dismisses electoral fraud claims by Opposition Leader
“I have a reputation that stands scrutiny”- Alexander
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, May 14, 2020
Guyana Elections Commissioner (GECOM) Commissioner Vincent Alexander again today dismissed claims by Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo that he was involved in electoral fraud at the March 2, General and Regional Elections.
Alexander said that he is yet to see any evidence brought by the opposition leader that points to him being involved in electoral fraud.
Yesterday, while addressing the media at the Arthur Chung Conference Centre, Bharrat Jagdeo accused Alexander of being a part of a plot to rig the elections.
Without putting forward any evidence, the opposition leader cited the declaration made by GECOM using figures from the Region Four Returning Officer Clairmont Mingo.
However, Alexander said that there is evidence of a draft order that came from Commissioner Sase Gunraj which was seconded by Executive Members of the Peoples’ Progressive Party which recognises and did not dismiss the ten declarations made by GECOM.
“So how can one singularly accuse Alexander when in fact collectively the Commission has embraced the order, so far as it has put it into a legal document, recognising its existence,” the Commissioner Alexander stated.
He described the actions of Bharrat Jagdeo as an opportunity to score “cheap political points.”
“I have a reputation that stands scrutiny; a reputation which has been tested even by those people who are now trying to drag me through the mud,” he stated.
Further, he noted that it is impossible for any commissioner to attempt electoral fraud since any decision emanating from the commission is made collectively by the commissioners.
The Commissioner underscored: “I am certain that there is no personal gain to be derived by me … as for financial gain, I did not arrive at GECOM yesterday. I have been there for 30 years and prior to that, I have been in the public service for 25 years at the University of Guyana.”