Claims and Objections to begin after PLE extracted – GECOM PRO
─ training of polling day staff moves to Reg. 6 this weekend
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, September 12, 2019
The Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) is now preparing for its Claims and Objections period, which will commence as soon as the Preliminary List of Electors (PLE) is extracted. The commission recently concluded it’s House-to-House Registration exercise.
The commission is currently conducting the encoding and verification process of the merger, which will ultimately lead to the extraction of the PLE.
GECOM’s Public Relations Officer (PRO), Yolanda Ward said the data garnered from the House-to-House Registration is now being merged with the existing National Register of Registrants Database (NRRD), from which a Preliminary List of Electors will be generated.
“That Preliminary list of Electors [PLE] will move us straight into a Claims and Objections Exercise. So, we cannot immediately run into the Claims and Objections exercise, because we are still going through that process of the merger,” she told the Department of Public Information (DPI) during an interview this morning.
The claims and objections period will allow persons who will become 18 years old by the end of October this year, to be registered. Individuals who have had changes in their particulars, including addresses and names can also utilise this period. “I really want to implore citizens that they have [their] documents ready, particularly those who have never been registered before, if you’re a Guyanese by birth or naturalisation or 18 years or older, once you have met any of those criteria, you are eligible to use the claims and objections exercise to ensure that you will be on the official list of electors,” she said.
Meanwhile, the Guyana Elections Commission continues with the training of polling day staff. So far, the agency has trained over 6,000 persons from 86 locations within sections of Georgetown, the East Coast and East Bank and Regions 1,2, 5 and ten. The commission will be moving to the East Berbice-Corentyne Region over the weekend where some 2,400 persons from 25 locations, are expected to be trained.