Gov’t remains open to discussions with Opposition on budget 2014- President
Georgetown, GINA, January 24, 2014
President Donald Ramotar today described the position taken by A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) to not participate in the consultations for budget 2014 as regrettable.
Speaking to media operatives at the Office of the President, he said that notwithstanding APNU’s position, his Government remains open for discussions, noting that on one hand they want to be involved in the budget preparation process, and on the other, they are not willing to cooperate.
“We have sent invitations to them… we still have a lot of time for consultations…we have an open door for them to make suggestions. Last year, documents were sent to them and we are still ready to have consultations with them as far as the budget process is concerned,” the President said.
He said that he has been informed by Minister of Finance, Dr. Ashni Singh that whatever documents were requested by the Opposition were sent to them (both the APNU and AFC).
Last week, Minister Singh dismissed claims made by APNU MP, Carl Greenidge that they were being sidelined from the budget talks, as “a blatant lie and cheap publicity stunt”.
He informed that the Government began initiating talks on budget 2014 with the Opposition since the latter part of 2013.