Nothing substantive came of ALT project in five years – Minister Sukhai
— says former administration failed to address key factors hindering the project
DPI, Guyana, Saturday, August 15, 2020
Minister of Amerindian Affairs, Hon. Pauline Sukhai, has reported that nothing substantive has evolved from the Amerindian Land Titling Project (ALT) under the former APNU+AFC Coalition Administration over the last five years.
It was discovered that the ALT Board of Directors did not meet for a year, which meant the work programme and budget allocations were not approved. Additionally, there were only five approvals granted for land demarcation within that period, which were never realised because of the lack of proper negotiations with the implementing agencies.
“According to the examination and analysis that resulted from engaging the unit, we have determined that within the last five years there has not been movement and realisation of the outputs of the project,” Minister Sukhai stated in a virtual press briefing held on Saturday.
The Amerindian Land Titling and Demarcation Project was established in 2013 when the then PPP/C Government signed a US$11Million document for the implementation of the Land Titling and Demarcation project.
It seeks to enable Indigenous Peoples to secure their lands and natural resources with a view towards sustainable social and economic development.
According to Minister Sukhai, when the former APNU+AFC Coalition Administration got into office in 2015, they dismantled the unit and then took 16 months to reestablish a new unit that was tasked with addressing land issues.
“They disbanded the functioning unit and took quite a long time to reinstate a new unit. The capacity of those persons has to be rebuilt since they were new and were not qualified in the area. “
During that period, the then administration sought three extensions to the project. This, Minister Sukhai explained, only covered the operational costs, rather than targeted outcomes. She further noted that the reduced rate of outcomes emanating from the unit over the last five years is “alarming”.
“The extensions were mainly based on approval of expenditures for the operational costs, not actual work to achieve targets and results according to the outputs as determined and committed and contracted within respect to that project… so, we have a unit that is fully equipped with personnel who have not been engaged fully and have been receiving their salaries with nothing to do.”
In terms of titling and demarcation of lands, the Minister said that it was discovered that of the five approved areas for demarcation, only three letters of agreement were signed between the then Ministry of Indigenous Peoples Affairs and the Guyana Lands and Surveys Commission(GLSC).
To date, she noted these villages have not enjoyed the benefits of being demarcated since the GLSC’s estimate for demarcating and surveying of land raised from 10% to 25% for one activity of demarcation.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), which is the implementing agency for the project, did not approve this since it was not within the Budget allocated.
“It was only late last year; the Ministry went ahead and signed the agreement, and since the signing, the UNDP was not in agreement with what transpired, and so they withheld financing for those three demarcations. I was also informed that the GGMC continues to issue claims and approve permits for lands within the applied area in Amerindian lands. So, we will have to now ensure that there is some resolution to this.”
Another factor hindering the project was the fact that the board did not meet in one year. Minister Sukhai has committed to ensuring the board gets back on track with respect to meeting and moving forward.

