Simple measures to prevent COVID-19
DPI, Guyana, Thursday, March 12, 2020
Since the Novel Coronavirus (COVD 19) has been deemed a global pandemic, countries who have recorded cases are doing all that is possible to mitigate the disease spread.
However, as individuals, we all have a responsibility to embrace good hygiene and keep our surroundings clean and tidy. This will help in preventing all traces of the coronavirus on surfaces, preventing potential transmission.
Here is what you can do:
- maintain a distance of at least one metre from persons who are coughing or sneezing
- perform hand hygiene frequently by washing hands thoroughly with soap and water or using a hand sanitizer if hands are not visibly soiled;
- cover mouths and noses with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, and then discarding it;
- resist the habit to touch the face;
- clean and wipe surfaces, countertops and other areas which you are likely to come into contact with (in office spaces; desktops, keyboards, door handles etc);
His Excellency President David Granger in an address to the nation on March 12, has also advised that public gatherings and non-essential travel should be discouraged
It has been noted by the World Health Organisation’s Director-General, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus that “This is a controllable pandemic…” therefore, these simple measures coupled with national measures implemented can go a far way in preventing the transmission of the novel coronavirus.