First-ever Guyana Tourism Awards hosted
DPI, Guyana, Wednesday, December 11, 2019.
Fifteen local tourism operators have been recognised at the first-ever Guyana Tourism Awards after a stellar year for the sector.
Guyana has copped six international awards including the number one spot for Best in Ecotourism and made Conde Nast’s list of 20 Best places to visit in 2020.
Tuesday’s awards ceremony was organised by the Guyana Tourism Authority (GTA) and the Guyana Tourism and Hospitality Association of Guyana (THAG).
THAG president, Mitra Ramkumar commended the Authority for the work it did this year.
He added that THAG would work with the police in the new year to ensure the efficient handling of incidents involving guests, contractors, the property of its members, and things of that nature.
Developing sports tourism, establishing the Hospitality Institute with the education ministry, and expanding the Tourism Development Fund for tour operators are also part of its plans.
According to Ramkumar, they would be partnering with Impressions to erect an ‘I love Guyana’ sign in central Georgetown.
“The sign is intended to serve as a gathering point for visitors who wish to celebrate their travel here through the sharing of photographs and videos via social media visitors will create a positive image of Guyana this will be the first of its kind here, and it will also foster patriotism,” Ramkumar said.
Director of the GTA, Brian Mullis had good news to share with the attendees.
“Based on our most recent visitor statistics we have seen an increase of 803% in travellers coming to Guyana in 2019 and based on that average expenditure this equates to an increase of four billion Guyanese dollars being injected into our economy year over year.”
According to Mullis, the statistics for the last few months were also looking good.
Meanwhile, Minister of Business, the Hon. Haimraj Rajkumar commended the GTA and THAG for hosting the awards ceremony and thanked the stakeholders for their efforts to develop the local tourism industry.
“We in government salute the courage and determination of our local entrepreneurs in developing this challenging but important sector Guyana tourism awards 2019 is a way of recognising the contributions of some of our brave entrepreneurs.”
The following is a list of the awardees at the first Guyana Tourism Awards.
– Best in Accommodation (Hotel) – Cara Lodge
– Best in Accommodation (Interior resort of the year) – Arrow Point Nature Resort
– Best Dining Restaurant of the Year – Bistro Café & Bar
– Best Emerging Tourism Destination community of the year – Karasabai Village
– New Tourism Product or Experience of the Year – Wichabai Ranch
– Tourism Supporting Services Award Reel – Guyana/Visit Guyana
– Most Outstanding Contribution to Tourism by NGO/Volunteer Group – South Rupununi Conservation Society
– Best in Tour: Tour Outfitter/Destination Committee of the year – Wilderness Explorers
– Tourism Investment of the Year – Wichabai Ranch
– Best in-Service Excellence and Hospitality – Bistro Café &Bar
– Best in Sustainable Tourism – Karanambo Trust and Lodge
– Best Emerging Tour Guide – John Christian
– Best Senior Tour Guide – Leroy Ignacio
– Overall Award 2019 Leader in Tourism – Donald Sinclair
– GTA Hall of Fame Inductee – Paul Stephenson.