Heritage Games deemed a success
GUYANA, GINA, Tuesday, September 20, 2016
The recently concluded Indigenous Heritage Games that attracted participation from all 10 administrative regions have been deemed successful.
Minister within the Ministry of Indigenous Peoples’ Affairs, Valerie Garrido-Lowe expressed gratitude to Digicel, the Government of Guyana and the participants and everyone who chipped in to make the sports the success it was.
Minister Garrido-Lowe told the Government Information Agency (GINA) that, “I have to thank our fellow brothers and sisters from Georgetown, East Coast, and East Bank and over the river (West Demerara), all came down here every day to support the sports.”
The Minister pointed out that it was evident during the three days of action that sports unify people.
“…I am glad that our Guyanese brothers and sisters, non-Indigenous, they are beginning to enjoy, understand and take part in Indigenous culture, and that’s wonderful,” the Minister said.
Additionally, Minister Garrido-Lowe said that next year, measures will be put in place to raise the standard of the games. “We will have to make sure that they play their knock out competition in the community and bring the best of the best, if you have to pluck them out from the different villages until you get a dream team,” the Minister said.
The aim, the Minister said, is to have even more competitive games and also to give scouters the opportunity to spot indigenous talent so that they can be placed on Guyana’s national team.
Results of the Heritage Games are:-
- First place- Sean Duncan- 57 Points
- Second place- Anand Mangara- 54 points
- Third place- Erick Hing – 30 points
- First place- Samira Duncan – 27 points
- Second place- Shearlyn Duncan – 20 points
- Third place- Narda Mohamed – 18 points
- First place- Aliya Gordon – 11 points
- Second place- Shamara Duncan – 7 points
- Third place- Darville Daniels- 3 points
- Orealla/Siparuta – Winner 15-11/15-7
- Mainstay- 1st Runner up
- Region Moruca – Winner – 15-8/15-13
- Cuthbert’s Mission – 1st runner-up
- Region Two United – winner
- Mahdia- 1st runner-up
- St Cuthbert’s Mission – winner
- Laluni – 1st runner up
- Mabaruma, Region One – winner
- Tabatinga, Region Nine- 1st runner-up
- Paruima, Region Seven- winner
- Moruca, Region One- 1st runner-up