No lockdown needed at Siparuta
− strong medical presence on the ground
-cases in St. Cuthbert’s Mission, Regions One, Seven declining
Minister of Health, Hon. Dr. Frank Anthony believes a lockdown in Siparuta is not necessary at this time, even as close monitoring continues to curb transmission of COVID-19 continues.
The Minister made this statement during Tuesday’s COVID -19 update.
The East Berbice-Corentyne (Region Six) village has recorded 35 COVID-19 cases to date. However, Minister Anthony says a capable medical team is stationed in the village conducting swabbing and ensuring people are informed of the safety guidelines.
“We have been working with the Village Council to ensure that people understand how they need to comply and so forth, and I think so far we have been getting a lot of cooperation in terms of the village complying. The only thing we have not done is lock down the community, and at this point, we don’t think that is necessary.”
The Minister also revealed that the Village Council has started to make changes to keep the community safe.
“They have, among themselves, started to restrict movements, they have been in discussions. We have advised medically for those persons who identify as being positive to isolate themselves, and they are complying with that, and the medical team on the ground has been talking to them to ensure that this happens,” he said.
Dr. Anthony also said steps have been taken to ensure a quick medical response, adequate testing and medication at the health facilities throughout the region, to prevent a surge in cases.
Health officials are also monitoring nearby Orealla village.
Meanwhile, cases have declined in St. Cuthbert’s Mission, Demerara-Mahaica (Region Four). Officials are still monitoring a few remaining asymptomatic cases to ensure the patients recover. Regions One and Seven have also recorded declining cases and conditions there are stabilising, the Minister said.