$431M four-door sluice at D’ Edward nears completion

DPI, Guyana, Saturday, December 7, 2019

The four-door sluice which is expected to be a game-changer for drainage of agricultural and residential lands at D’ Edward, West Coast Berbice (WCB) is 80 percent complete.

The sluice will provide drainage to over 16,000 acres of low lying agricultural and residential lands between the Berbice and Abary Rivers. This will provide farmers with a sense of security on the outcome of their crop cultivation and livestock rearing in an area historically prone to flooding during inclement weather.

Pix # 1

Completed main structure of the 4-door sluice at D’ Edward, West Coast Berbice

The sluice is located a few hundred feet west of the Berbice River Bridge and is being constructed by Courtney Benn Construction Services Limited. E&A Consultants Incorporated is supervising the works.

Work on the sluice which will be managed by the Mahaica Mahaicony Abary Agricultural Development Authority (MMA/ADA) commenced in late 2017.

This followed the release of the funds by the government through the Ministry of Agriculture to relieve the effects of inundation on the WCB and open up additional lands in the area for agriculture.

Site foreman attached to the CBCSL, Rishie Humphrey told DPI that the 80 percent that has been completed comprises the main structure.  He described the remaining 20 percent as “fineries” such as installation of the four doors, sea defence revetments, inlet and outlet channels and erosion protection features.

Humphrey said that the CBCSL is working every day to ensure the sluice is completed and handed over to the MMA/ADA by year-end.

CATEGORIES
TAGS

COVID-19 Alert!

Coronavirus disease spreads primarily through contact with an infected person when they cough or sneeze. It also spreads when a person touches a surface or object that has the virus on it, then touches their eyes, nose, or mouth. We urge citizens to practice good hygiene and social or physical distancing also adhere to the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health, Guyana.